Saturday, April 14, 2012

Our Menu: Week of April 7 to 13

Easter Sunday!
As I mentioned in my post about Easter, I got all adventurous and made a cake to bring to my mother-in-law’s house for Easter dinner.  This was only my second ‘from scratch’ cake ever and I’m so happy to report that it turned out!  Check out the photos I posted on Facebook (you don’t have to be logged in or even have a profile to view the photos).  If you know me well, you know that I have very little patience and I do everything FAST.  The cake was no exception.  I don’t have a proper ‘cake caddy’ so the hubs suggested I ice the cake but decorate it when we got to his mom’s.  Oh yes, what a great idea!  Except, I couldn’t help myself and once it was iced I thought I’d just put some of the decorations on it and before you know it, the whole thing was decorated!  I felt like a guilty child when hubs got home and saw the cake fully decorated on the counter.  The next question, of course, was, “How are you going to get it all the way to my mom’s like that?” – it’s about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from our house.  I hadn’t really thought that far ahead, I just wanted to see the finished product NOW.  As mentioned, I don’t have a proper ‘cake caddy’, so the cake sat on a plate, on a lazy Susan, on a bigger platter and then on my lap in the car.  There were a few treacherous moments on the journey and even Baby O looked concerned.  But, the cake made it, in tact and it was delicious!  Here are the recipes:  Carrot Bundt Cake (I skipped the walnuts due to a nut allergy in the fam) and Lemon Cream Cheese Icing.

Baby O looking a little worried about the cake!
I also brought the Mushroom Casserole to have as a side dish to our dinner that I have made before.  Again, it was really good.

Chicken Asparagus Penne and Salad
See this post

Coconut Lime Chicken over Basmati Rice with Steamed Green Beans
Oh yes, this was GOOD.  A fan of coconut, I am not, but I love to cook with coconut milk.  Will definitely make this again. Here is the recipe.

Lasagna Rolls with Steamed Broccoli
I made a batch of my own pasta sauce with ground chicken again this week to go in these lasagna rolls.  I don’t have a recipe, but this is basically what I do:

Cook 12 lasagna noodles
In a bowl mix together a container of Ricotta cheese, 1 egg, some shredded mozzarella, grated fresh parmesan and a sprinkle of garlic powder.
Spread the mixture on the noodles and then roll them up.
Place them in a baking dish and cover them with sauce.  Grate some more mozzarella on top.
Bake them for about 30 minutes at 350.  Yum!  Baby O loved these too! 

BBQ Chicken Tostadas with Avocado Corn Salsa and Steamed Asparagus
Another hit!!  I cooked the chicken in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and about half a cup of water and it turned out so moist and juicy and was very easy to shred.  I skipped the 'ranch' part of this recipe.  The avocado corn salsa was delicious too.  The recipe says to sprinkle the tortillas with taco seasoning, but I just sprinkled a bit of cumin and chili powder on them instead.

BBQ Pork Chops, Grilled Sweet Potatoes and Salad
I heart simple BBQ dinners.  The chops were sprinkled with Montreal Chicken spice and for the sweet potatoes, I just sliced them into rounds and tossed them with olive oil and a bit of salt and hubs cooked them on the ‘Q in our BBQ basket.

Bon Appetit! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-47769148-1