Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our Menu: Week of March 3 to 9


Teryiaki Steak, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Green Beans
You probably know that one of my rules is, if it swims, I don't eat it, but I also don't eat anything that moos!  The men in my house crave a good BBQ'd steak once in awhile and last weekend was one such occasion, so, Brayden offered to cook dinner!  He marinated steaks in teriyaki sauce for himself and Jason (I had chicken), and he made AMAZING garlic mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.  It was a fabulous dinner, thanks Brayden!

Pasta with Homemade Meat Sauce, Steamed Broccoli and Salad

In our Plan B share last week we received some living basil that smelled so good so I decided to make a batch of pasta sauce with ground chicken.  I try to imitate Rosa's (my sister's mother-in-law) amazing home made sauce and I know it's nowhere near as good, but we like it.  It's very simple - 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, about half a can of water, some sugar, some salt, olive oil and a big handful of fresh basil leaves thrown in whole.  We had the sauce over brown rice spaghetti and some steamed broccoli and a salad on the side.  I made enough sauce to freeze for another couple of meals too. 

Santa Fe Casserole 
This was supposed to be a vegetarian meal, but I had an extra chicken breast thawed, so I cut it up and added it to this casserole.  We really liked this one.  It's very filling with brown rice and beans.  YUMMY!  Here's the recipe.

Mushroom Stroganoff
I have decided to try to make two or three vegetarian meals a week.  My reason is two-fold:  One, to eat healthier by eating less meat (not to mention the environmental impacts of eating meat), and to reduce our grocery bill.  This stroganoff was just as good as one with meat and I would make it again.  I used a mix of cremini and white mushrooms.  We had steamed asparagus with it.  Click here for the recipe.

Vegetarian Burrito Pie
Can you tell we like Mexican food?  This was another vegetarian meal that was really good. Would definitely make it again. Served with a salad.  Here's the recipe.

Butter Chicken with Cauliflower and Chana Masala over Basmati Rice
One of our favourites.  See this post.


Bon Appetit!

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-47769148-1