Monday, March 26, 2012

Five Grain Rolled Cereal Daybreak Cookies


I made a batch of these cookies just before O was born with the idea to have them on hand for a quick bite to eat in the morning once he arrived.  It turned out that we were in the hospital for 6 days after O’s birth and Jason had to bring his own food so these cookies were great for that purpose.  I had all but forgotten about them until I started to organize my bookmarks in my web browser and came across the link to the recipe so I whipped up a batch today.  They are so good and really easy and only take 10 minutes to bake.  I made a couple of modifications to the original recipe – see my notes below. Here's my version:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (original calls for 1 cup)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour (original calls for white flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup five-grain cereal – I use Grain Shop High Fibre Crisp (which is also one of my favourite cereals for breakfast)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup pecan halves – chopped
1/4 cup walnuts – chopped (not in the original recipe)

(I also omitted the coconut in the original because I just don’t like coconut!)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Blend melted butter and sugar with a whisk until smooth. Add vanilla and egg to butter mixture and mix well.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cereal. Stir flour mixture into egg and butter mixture until just combined. Add remaining ingredients, mix until combined.

Drop 1 1/2 inch balls (about 2 tbsp per ball) onto parchment lined cookie sheets.

Bake 10 minutes or until lightly brown on edges but still soft in the middle. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

ENJOY!

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-47769148-1